Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 12:51:39 +0100
From:      Per Tore Larsen <per.tore.larsen@fernonorden.com>
To:        'shivak' <shivak@shivakaul.com>, freebsd-questions2 <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: switch and router recommendation

> I'm going to be building a two-segment 10/100 ethernet network. The
> basic setup will look like this:
>
> INTERNET
> ROUTER-------------
> ||                               ||
> SEGMENT 1           SEGMENT 2
>
> Segment 1 will be composed of desktop machines with 100Mbps ethernet
> interfaces. Segment 2 will have server machines (running FreeBSD, of
> course) which mostly run 100Mbps ethernet interfaces as well.
>
> Can anyone recommend a router (preferably brand name like
> Cisco, I have
> a p166 under my desk running as a router under openBSD and it
> looks like
> it is about to break apart. I would like something that I can rely on
> for the years to come)? It should be able to do NAT and
> firewalling, and
Stick with OpenBSD or FreeBSD, change the hardware. You dont need
the crappy (and highly overpriced) Cisco IOS.
My experience with the firewall and NAT options in Cisco has put
me in a potition where I say: "Don't use it". BSD flavour firewall
and NAT is 1000 times better and easier to configure.

> I don't need any exotic options. Also, I need a good 16 port
> switch for
> the servers (it should have a gigabyte uplink, because I need the max
> amount of bandwidth between both segments). Has anyone had any good
> experiences with either?
Check out the SuperStackII series from 3com.  You have VLAN options
so you could speparate two networks on the same switch giving you
plenty of bandwitdth between the two networks.

PeTe