Date:      16 Nov 2001 11:55:47 +0100
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail doesn't like changed nameservers

leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org (Louis LeBlanc) writes:

> What  I can't  figure  out is  how  to  get sendmail  to  pick up  the
> nameserver change on the fly. I  wound up having to kill sendmail from
> /etc/mail/ using  make stop. I  then had to  ps -ax for  the remaining
> sendmail processes and kill them  explicitly. Otherwise I kept getting
> resolve errors in /var/log/maillog.

Most MTAs, and I don't think sendmail is an exception, don't use a
specific nameserver themselves.  That depends on what have configured
in /etc/resolv.conf.  I assume that you are still using the old ip
setup before?

In any case it is often more convenient to setup named locally and let
it do all the work, rather than rely on your provider's name server
changing ip addresses.

If you do this you can set up resolv.conf to have 3 name servers, the
first one it would use would be your local named, and the others could
be the ones setup by your dhcp client script.

> Is  it possible  to get  sendmail to  do this  more gracefully  from a
> script?  What  is the  general  consensus  for calling  'killall  -HUP
> sendmail'? If that is BAD, let me know so I don't do it :).

The problem isn't sendmail, it's the name resolution, and the way this
works is setup in /etc/resolv.conf (and a couple of other files).

I think you are blaming the wrong tool here.

> Anyway, I don't  think I lost any  mail (maybe a couple),  but I would
> like this to be automated so I don't  really need to know when I get a
> change in my dhcp lease.

I'd look at the chcp client script and see how to setup the name
server to use, or better still setup named properly so you don't
_need_ to use your providers own name server.

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd@pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager