Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 03:12:17 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "nunnari" <roberto.nunnari@agie.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: g++ -v --> 2.7.2.1 ???

[Redirected to -questions]

> My question is:
> Are there any reason to hold on 2.7.2.1 instead of upgrading to 2.8.x ?

No reason except for needing to get the work of upgrading (and
potentially fixing) the compiler out of the way.  It's more work than
it looks like to replace the default system compiler. :)

> I was told that version 2.8 added much better C++ features support (
> template,
> exception handling, rtti, etc...)

This is true.

> Are there any downsides on 2.8.x ?

It may work as an alternative compiler (see /usr/ports/lang/gcc28) but
don't expect to be able to compile your kernel and everything else
with it out of the box.

> If not, would my upgrading to 2.8.x impact in any way with FreeBSD
> environnment (I mean in building a customized kernel, or building the
> ports) ?

It shouldn't unless you make /usr/local/bin/gcc the default compiler
somehow.  You'd have to work at it a bit though.

- Jordan