Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:00:26 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM & LDAP in FreeBSD

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 04:51:12PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> The implementation details are as unimportant as ever: they have to work
> and be maintainable.  Following prior art remains a good idea; the Solaris
> "name service switch" implementation is a good starting point to consider.

I agree. In solaris (and linux by the way) all you do is set
passwd 	ldap files
in /etc/nsswitch.conf
and that's it.

I had started to write the code to mess with libc to "fix" the getpwent stuff,
but a better solution is to "port" the nsswitch stuff from linux (i don't have
source from solaris :)

Anyone more knowledgeable should give me a big hand here and point me to the
right way to start this. I'm willing to do the coding but need help on the
overall design.

Since I need this working asap, I'm gonna hack libc so that if the file
/etc/auth.conf has a line saying auth_list = ldap, it looks in /etc/ldap.conf
to get the rest of the stuff (server, port, base dn, etc).

At the same time, we should work towards a real solution.

regards,

-Oscar

--
For PGP Public Key: finger obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu