Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:24:28 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problems with Hitachi 1TB SATA drives

At 08:44 PM 7/23/2007, Bill Swingle wrote:

>After several tries I was able to get both disks newfs'd and mounted
>but they quickly fell down with DMA timeouts. On one occasion the
>machine actually panic'd too:

Hi,
         What options do you have set in the BIOS for the sata
controller ?  Do you have anything like "compatibility" mode ? If so,
try turning it off and put it in the "advanced" or "native"
mode.   Also I found with some older ICH4 controllers (dont know
about 5) if you disabled the secondary IDE controller in the BIOS,
"bad things" happen.  If you have it off, try turning it back on.

         ---Mike