Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 08:10:30 -0800
From:      "Steve Biskis" <mlx@san.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help: Too many open files !!!

Hello All,

Having a regular problem on my 2.2.5/6 file server.
I should mention that it supports a fair amount of
samba clients (10-20) on average. (1.9.18p10)

First, a little background:

I obtained my kernel in compiled form (as I couldn't
get the patch to work) for DPT SCSI support.
Therefore, I don't know all the details of its config.

Despite the fact that I've never caught this host
running more than about 70 processes, I was hitting
a "process table full" error.  I did a little poking about
and discovered multiple smbd's for the same host/share.
Now, many of our Samba clients are Win95 wireless units
that can experience some serious network outages.
So I figured maybe my network was pushing Samba a bit
beyond its limits.  I wrote a daemon to kill "orphaned" Samba
daemons and voila, this error seems to have ceased.

I've researched enough to know that MAXUSERS
determines the proc table size and based on where I
was running out of processes, I figure it can't be more
than 4 (84 processes).

Now, onto the current problem:

/kernel: file: table is full
Jan 15 10:28:11 rio last message repeated 7 times
Jan 15 10:31:51 rio syslogd: /dev/console: Too many open files in system:
Too many open files in system
Jan 15 10:31:51 rio syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
Jan 15 10:31:51 rio syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
Jan 15 10:31:51 rio /kernel: file: table is full
Jan 15 10:31:51 rio last message repeated 3 times

Questions:

1a> Is this table some how also tied to MAXUSERS ?
1b> If so, how ?
1c> If not, then how is the file table size set.

2> Is there a utility or a resource that I can access to write a utility
     to see how many files are open and maybe even the processes
     that have them open ?

I've already installed FreeBSD 2.2.8 on my local machine and could
build a new kernel.  This problem exists on a heavily used production
machine located out of town and I want to be real sure of what I'm
doing before I F_CK with it.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve B.
mlx@san.rr.com