Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 18:30:34 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Idar Tollefsen <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq-CC, the next steps....

Idar Tollefsen wrote:
> I know this is probably going to sound stupid, but hey,
> you only learn by asking...
> =

> FreeBSD and Linux don't use the same ELF format, do they?

Yes.

> I thought the Compaq compiler produced Linux/Alpha binaries,
> in which case you would need the Linux emulator to run them.

No.  It is the system call entry points, which are in libc,
which dictate whether it's a Linux or a FreeBSD system it's
talking to (and the manifest constants and structures in the
header files which are filled out and/or passed as parameters
to the system calls).

> =CCf that's the case, is there really a speed increase to be
> gained? And even if it is, do we really want the FreeBSD ports
> collection to prefer building Linux/Alpha binaries over native
> binaries on the Alpha?

You seem to believe that the Linux compatability module is an
emulator.  It's not.  It's an ABI.  There are no performance
penalties for running Linux binaries (other than those imposed
by use of the Linux system interfaces by virtue of their design).

-- Terry