Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 03:59:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, eivind@yes.no, jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Switching sound drivers (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa/snd

> > so where are your questions :)
>
> He is wondering if you have bothered to read the old sound driver

i probably did long ago but don't would prefer to read/hear a high-level
specification of what the code should do. The things i have read so far
have left me a little bit confused, e.g. at first i thought that you
could fill the buffer and let it play it forever, but some docs on the
oss site seem to suggest that samples are cleared after having been
played (to mask/avoid "looping" problems).

> code, if you have a sample program to test your dma code and if it

there was a sample program on the wss site, yes, but the goal is to run
real apps and those may differ from the sample

> is fully compatible with the old sound driver in -current.

at the moment it is not in the sense that you cannot pass sync.
information around. Thinking more about it, probably only one ioctl
(TRIGGER or so ?) is missing -- because you can already mmap the
buffers and fetch the DMA pointers as required.

	cheers
	luigi