Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:20:38 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, dave@syix.com
Subject:   Re: BSD 6 or 7 + Intel 3200 MCH chipset

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 09:19:00 pm Dave Overton wrote:
> Just put together a nice 1U box, Tyan Tank GT20, plugged in its 8gb ECC
> RAM, its 4 shiney new HDs and fired it up.  Bios looks normal, reset
> the clock to something resembling today, and throw in the Fbsd7 disk!
>
> No joy.
>
> I get just a hint of a "booting" line, then an instant reboot, or with
> a 6 disk, I get a scrolling mess that I have no idea what it says.

Partly guessing, but this sounds like the real-mode BTX bootloader issue.
It's become increasingly common on newer hardware, and it's not limited
to USB devices like it used to be. Fortunately, there is a good chance
that jhb's recent BTX overhaul will fix it. Unfortunately, it was only
committed to -CURRENT two weeks ago and MFC'ed to RELENG_6 and RELENG_7
one week ago so I doubt there's a ready-to-use snapshot CD you can
download that includes it.

If it were me I'd create a bootable USB stick (on another machine) to
verify that you can boot the server with the latest boot blocks, then use
it to do a manual install (or at least bootstrap the process). But that's
just me--I like that sort of thing. It's also possible to roll your own
installation CD but I've never done.it. I do recall someone posting an
link to an image to one of the mailing lists, but IIRC that was with a
BTX patch older than the one that actually got committed. Probably
someone else on this list has a better suggestion.

JN