Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:35:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        kadal <kadal@elka.ee.itb.ac.id>
Cc:        Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network performance vs. linux on small transfers

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, kadal wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:38:21 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>
> > To: FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
> > Subject: network performance vs. linux on small transfers
> >
> > I am involved in a messaging system at work in which we need to send/receive
> > large amounts of small (one line messages) SMTP messages.  We are currently using Sendmail 8.9.3
> > on HPUX.
> >
> > Our application sends messages down a FIFO to a daemon process that is reading from
> > the FIFO.  This process then connects to port 25 of the destination system and
> > delivers the mail via SMTP.  Currently the destination system is the local
> > system so everything is done on one machine.
> >
> > Using HPUX we typically pass 5 messages a second.  This system is a dual
> > 180Mhz K class server so this is surprisingly low performance for this system.
> >
> > When testing on FreeBSD 3.1 we also got 5 messages a second.  This system is a
> > 500Mhz P3, this is also unacceptable performance.
> >
> > When we tested with Linux (kernel 2.2.5) we passed 15 messages a second
> > consistently using the exact same P3 described above.
> >
> > Since the HPUX and FreeBSD numbers are so close I am wondering there is some
> > performance tuning that I do not know about.  Do you think the number might
> > change if multiple hosts were used?
> >
> > The daemon that reads from the FIFO makes only one connection to the local
> > Sendmail to deliver multiple messages in sequence.
>
> do you really have to deliver the messages sequentially ?  SMTP
> conversation is rather slow, especially for small messages.
>
> you may want to try to deliver them simultaneously, by creating multiple
> SMTP conversations.
>
> you may also try other MTA such as qmail, postfix, etc.
>
> > I REALLY want to use FreeBSD over Linux on this one and need some major help
> > to get the performance out of FreeBSD.
>
> how about profiling your program / system ? try to find where it spends
> most time. it could be forking, disk I/O, SMTP conversation, etc. I
> strongly suspect that it's SMTP conversation, but can't really sure before
> you mesure it.

Wild guess, the creation of spool files syncronously is killing
performance you may give freebsd a signifigant boost by either:

mount -o async -u /var (spool partition)

or enabling softupdates, check out:

/usr/src/sys/contrib/softupdates/README.softupdates.

please tell me how it goes.

good luck,
-Alfred