Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:47:58 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: currently running kernel?

Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net> types:
> Is there anyway to tell which kernel that you booted from? I guess you coud
> use uname -a and use a different config file for each kernel, but is there
> an easier way?

What do you mean by "which kernel"? uname -a gives you the config file
name and the date it was built, which some would consider a sufficient
identification. If you're doing proper change tracking with cvs or
similar, that should allow you to recover the contents of the config
file.

If you want the contents of the config file without doing change
tracking, you can use the INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE option in the kernel
build, and then extract the config file from the kernel with strings
and sed. See LINT for details.

	<mike