Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 01:29:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steven Walker <walkers@region.durham.on.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thrown into it!

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Steven Walker wrote:

> I'm hoping you may be able to give me a little direction. I am new to
> UNIX in general although I can get around, edit etc. We have lost our
> only expertise in FreeBSD and we are about to make some changes (below)!

Argh!  That doesn't help.

> My company has a FreeBSD machine acting as an Internet gateway/IP
> translation/mail server. It has a network card which our LAN is
> connected to. It also has a 33.6 dial up modem which dials into our ISP.
>
> We do not use registered IP numbers on our LAN so the machine translates
> these address' between the network card and modem, so that we can get
> out to the Internet from our LAN workstations.

OK, this is quite common.

> We have recently purchased a Cisco PIX firewall which will take over the
> job of IP translation. We have also contracted a new ISP to provide ISDN
> connection to the Internet via an ISDN router. All that will be left for
> the FreeBSD machine to do is mail serving. My questions are:
>
> 1) How do I disable the use of the modem dial up, leaving only the NIC
> in place, so that this machine is simply another node on the outside of
> the firewall?

How do you dial up now?  Does it just do it on-demand or ??

There are two ways this is usually implemented:

1)  A program called `ppp' runs with the -alias option which takes care of
dial-up and address translation.

2)  A daemon called `pppd' runs which takes care of dialup and
translation.

You just have to find where these are started, remove them, then use
`kill' to kill them.

> 2) How do I stop it from performing IP translation?

See #1.

> 3) Is there any GUI interface that can help me manage this machine in
> it's mail serving capacity?

Unfortunately, no.  How do people get mail off the machine?  using POP
(Eudora, Netscape, etc) or just log in directly?

If the accounts are on the machine, you can use the adduser/rmuser
commands to add and remove users, respectively.

Hope this helps.