Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:46:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> >    More flexible? Hm... I would be interested in hearing a detailed
> > explanation for that.
>
> Its simple: a TA or router allows you to do only that things, the TA or
> router was designed to let you do. A passive ISDN card allows you to do
> everything ISDN allows you to do.

   Oh? So what does european ISDN offer that U.S. ISDN doesn't? So far, my
TA allows me to use all of the features available from my Telco (and its a
long list, I assure you). My engineering contact (who is reading this as I
type it) informs me that from a "features" standpoint, european and U.S.
ISDN systems are, in essence, identical...

> Sidenote: there is an exception to what i just said. I know of one manu-
> facturer of ISDN routers who built a thing called "remote CAPI" into their
> routers, which allows you to access the ISDN by issuing CAPI messages over
> IP. If you want to know what CAPI is, look at www.capi.org. In case i were
> in the situation i was, when i started ISDN driver writing under FreeBSD,
> today, i would just buy such a device and done.

   Hmmm... Interesting. I shall have to discuss this with my engineering
contacts, though it sounds familiar. Actually, after browsing through the
CAPI page, it looks like most of the things discussed are normally
implemented as firmware (aka user-proof). Still, I will verify this before
committing myself to any exact statement.

> > > Hopefully - and the code is already there - i4b will run with the existing
> > > PPP code, although i don't see the need: bonding two B-channels together
> > > does not make much sense here.
> >
> >    Why not?
>
> Its too expensive (for me!) within the current pricing scheme over here, now
> forgive me that i don't explain our current pricing ... ;-)

   I understand. I begin to wonder if the people responsible for creating
the pricing schemes for my Telco are under the influence mind-altering
drugs...

> > transfers. The costs of using ISDN for voice communications are bad
> > enough without intentionally makeing it worse for myself.
>
> And the strange thing happening here is, that ISDN (voice) communication
> is cheaper than analog voice communication since the beginning of this
> year :-)

  I wish I could say the same. Though a single BRI is only slightly more
expensive than a pair of analog lines--unless you go over the time
limits. Then the additional taxes become painful, indeed. I have the
misfortune to live in a state where there's no such thing as flat-rate
ISDN (sigh).

> The conditions under which it pays to use ISDN and/or to use features
> ISDN is able to provide are just _totally_ different in Europe and the US.

   I'm not entirely sure I would agree with such a statement, but I'll
take your word for it for now. Heh... Looks like I'll be pestering my
friends at Alpha Telecom alot this next week (grin)...

R. Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante
We are a Micro$oft-free site