Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 23:10:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Reginald S. Perry" <reggie@aa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Reginald S. Perry wrote:

> This is rather curious. I went to http://www.dandelion.com/Linux/ and
> saw this:
>
> Linux BusLogic Driver -- FlashPoint Support Now Available

Thanks for the update Reginald!  I've forwarded this information to the
FreeBSD SCSI mailing list were the proper people should get on this.

> 	You can download the source for the Linux driver from this
> site. So someone is getting info from Buslogic. I am concerned about
> this because I have a Buslogic card in my 486 and I planning to
> upgrade my setup this summer. Now I wasnt planning to get a FlashPoint
> card, but I could take the above statments as meaning that the FreeBSD
> group does not have a very good relationship with Buslogic. Of course
> I am not taking it that way. What I am thinking is that the Adaptec
> drivers might be better supported on FreeBSD than the Buslogic
> drivers. BTW, this _will not_ make me buy an Adaptec board when I
> upgrade my system. :-)

Well, if we decide to develop FP drivers (this is up to the SCSI Powers
That Be), it'll be quite a while before they're written and sufficiently
tested to go out into public release.

In the meanwhile, earlier BusLogic models, most Adaptec, and NCR/Symbios
based cards (NCR/Symbios sample boards, ASUS SC-200, Tekram (??)) are all
supported very nicely I might add.  (To plug the NCRs:  They can be had
for ~$100-120 and perform just as well as the Adaptecs.  I have one in my
box driving 2 quad speed CDROMs and it works like a champ.  The driver in
2.2-BETA crashes for some reason, but backing it up to the -ALPHA level
works fine.)