Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:10:09 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports that don't run on !i386

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

[ports for commiting no working on !i386 archs]

> So what should I do?

This is a well known problem I think. I am voting for committing,
including a comment in commit message and perhaps also a note in
the close on the PR to the user to check bento log in a few days
and see what / if s.th. goes wrong.

I personally try to do this once my updates get commited. For alpha I
already have an account on Compaq/HP testdrive. Though this is no fun
from dialup access w/o screen(1). Also some users had been willing to
provide shell access for ports testing.

Introducing a port-testing queue (submit tarball with THIS layout, we
will queue, try to build and notfiy you) would be and ideal solution
but wouldn't help I guess and only cost lot of resources.

Perhaps a summary of open build errors can be mailed once every two
weeks or every month to the maintainer (the fenner page -sorted by
maintainer- should already have all needed information). This perhaps
would help to make more maintainers looking at the logs.

--
Greetings

56 69 73 69 74				http://www.zabbadoz.net/