Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:47:40 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Jon Molin" <Jon.Molin@resfeber.se>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

Jon writes:

> have you tried http://groups.google.com/ ? My search
> "pptp freebsd" generated 3300 hits, i guess at least
> one is relevant.

I spent days looking for a description of what I required, without success.

One of the things I've discovered with FreeBSD is that it is _at least_ as hard
to find decent documentation of how to do things as it is with Windows.

> I'm not sure what you're after in functionality
> that notepad has ...

In Notepad, when you type something, the file changes.  What you see on the
screen is exactly what is going into the file.  To delete characters, you just
press the Delete or Backspace keys.  To insert characters, you just type.  At
all times, what you see on the screen is what will go into the file.  No need to
refresh the screen, or try to remember what the editing commands are doing, or
anything.  You can also select text by holding down Shift and moving the cursor.
Simple stuff like that.  And you don't have to memorize any commands, nor is
there any "command mode" that you have to worry about.

I'm just amazed by the awkwardness of vi commands, and I have to wonder why
anyone would voluntarily choose such a mess as an editor.  I can see how it
would have been great stuff in 1971, when there was nothing better, but today,
it's a joke.

> If that's not what you want, I'm sure you can find
> one in the 235 editors listed in
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/editors.html.

Thanks.  I found one there called joe that looks like it might be close to what
I prefer.