Date:      15 Jul 96 17:49:09 EDT
From:      Mark Ovens <100104.10@CompuServe.COM>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Building a Linux compatible kernel - How ?

	I am trying, without success, to build a FreeBSD kernel with Linux
compatibility.

	I have installed the package linux_lib-1.0 which seems to come with only
the following brief instructions :-

These libraries are part of the linux compatibility options
for FreeBSD.  To get linux compat working you will need

	1) A linux binary such as doom, Wingz, or maple

	2) a kernel with ``options LINUX_COMPAT'' in the config file

	3) these libraries

	4) the linux compat lkm (ie run /usr/bin/linux)

	then run the linux binary.

	I added the "LINUX_COMPAT" option to the config file, I also tried
"COMPAT_LINUX" as other options which include "COMPAT" are of the format
"COMPAT_xxxxx", but in both cases the Makefile produced contained no reference
to "linux", except for the options line.

	I would expect the build to include some or all of the files in
/usr/src/sys/i386/linux.

	Also, the instruction 4), " the linux compat lkm (ie run /usr/bin/linux)"
is puzzling me. There is no file called "linux" in /usr/bin, or anywhere else on
my system (there is an executable "linux_mod" but that just produces the error
"Exec format error. Wrong Architecture" which all Linux programs seem to give.

	I am at a loss as to how to make it all work.

	Any help would be greatly appreciated.

	Regards,
		Mark Ovens (100104.10@compuserve.com)