Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:11:05 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Artem Kuchin <matrix@itlegion.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to compiel kernel and world to maxium optimization

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 02:02:09PM +0400, Artem Kuchin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Somehow, i cannot find info now how to build kernel and world
> very optimized to a particular machine. Maybe i am not looking
> hard enough?
>
> The point is that if i have Xeon HT cpus (not very new, but
> definitelly not Pentium PRO :) i can build kernel and world
> using insttructions for this CPU and optimization for it, so
> i would get myself a speedy system and less memory hungry, right?
>
> The only option known to me which is related to the isee is cpu
> setting in kernel config file. Anything else?
>
> Thank you very much in advance

You can set CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf to have the compiler do some
CPU-specific optimizations.

You can also set CFLAGS/COPTFLAGS  (for world/kernel) in /etc/make.conf
to whatever flags the compiler supports.
Don't complain if anything breaks though - you are only supposed to
touch those flags if you know what you are doing.

Don't expect any major (or even noticable) improvements from these settings
though.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson