Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:40:23 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The minimal system requirements demand updating with 9.0-RELEASE

On 12/11/2011 4:37 μμ, Mr Dandy wrote:
> Hi
>
> According to http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-hardware.html"
> "
> Both FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/pc98 require a 486 or better processor and at
> least 24 MB of RAM. You will need at least 150 MB of free hard drive space for
> the most minimal installation.
> "

Note that the "install" chapter of the Handbook refers to installations
of FreeBSD earlier than 9.0. Though it is true that 8.X cannot be
installed (using sysinstall and GENERIC kernel) on a system with 24Mb
RAM (Back in the days, I managed to get a trimmed kernel of 8.0-RC1
running on 24Mb RAM).

I've done some preliminary testing on 9.0-RC1/386 on VirtualBox and here
are my findings (all tests using GENERIC kernel):

24 Mb: Already installed system has trouble booting - processes getting
killed before / during mounting of file systems. When installing,
bsdinstall chokes at early stages.
32 Mb: Installed system boots. Bsdinstall chokes uncompressing tarballs
48 Mb: Bsdinstall can complete an installation as long as "ports" is not
selected for installation.
64 Mb: Bsdinstall can complete a full installation (very slowly!)

We should probably suggest 64Mb as an absolute minimum for 9.0
installations.