Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 10:09:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup/3.2-RELEASE

On Monday, 17 May 1999 at  7:40:59 -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> "J. W. Ballantine" wrote:
>>
>> I did a sup on my 3.1-STABLE system Friday, early evening, and then
>> did a make world and a kernel rebuild/install.  When I checked on the
>> make world Saturday am, the screen was locked, so i rebooted the system
>> and when it came up the kernel said it was 3.2-RELEASE.  However, the
>> system wouldn't start because /bin/sh was not in executable format.
>> When I was able to bring up the system using /bin/csh, I looked at the
>> make world log and found it failed during an install in the games
>> dir because bin was not a valid account on the system, yet bin is a valid
>> user in the passwd file.
>>
>> Did I sup at the wrong time and get ``bad''  source??
>> Is there some major change between 3.1-STABLE and 3.2-RELEASE that resulted
>> in the problem, or is there something else going on???
>
> I started having my system hang when I started X at the same time.
> They went from 3.1-current, to beta, to 3.2-release and my stability
> problems have been going on for a week.

People, if you *do* have problems running beta software, raise a large
flag, making it clear that it's happening with beta software.  That's
what the beta test period is for, and we're more than usually
responsive to any problems you may have.  The last thing we want is
for software to go out there with bugs of this dimension.

Greg