Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:47:54 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <wlosh@bsdimp.com>, Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Retiring in-tree GDB

Hi,

We're missing a bunch of mips trapframe/etc handling code in the
upstream gdb for freebsd/mips. There's freebsd/alpha upstream, but not
mips.

i use the gdb in a qemu VM to diagnose freebsd/mips related issues.

I'm mainly afraid of having no sensible replacement - we can't (yet)
cross compile gdb easily for mips, we can't (yet) easily cross compile
a gdb /stub/ to remote debug mips, and upstream gdb / our port doesn't
support freebsd/mips.

If someone gdb cluey could pull out the freebsd/mips specific gdb code
and at least get it into the port as a set of patches, that'd be a
great start. I'm happy to try and work with others to get that
patchset upstreamed into gdb (once I finally sign the FSF
documentation, sigh.)

Thanks,

-adrian