Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2010 23:35:51 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /sbin/reboot

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> wrote:

> Why would you want it to be?   One really shouldn't be running /sbin/reboot
> directly as part of normal operations.  shutdown does a graceful reboot if
> and when operators need to perform  reboot.

AFAIK, the only functional difference between the two is shutdown(8)
notifies other logged in users of the impending shutdown.  I've used
reboot(8) for a long time with no ill effects so I'd be interested to hear
what you meant there.  Since an operator can use shutdown(8) to initiate the
same shutdown sequence reboot(8) uses, it wouldn't seems to be a security
based decision.

--
Adam Vande More