Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 20:05:59 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>, "Brian Somers" <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Subject:   Re: natd and userland ppp

> > > It seems also that some features (such as automatic holes in the
firewall
> > > and dynamic rules) are a bit tricky to get working properly with
aliasing in
> > > ppp. Now I probably missed some tricks on that side, so don't flame me
> > > because of that last comment, educate me!
> >

> > I'm not an expert on PPP's filtering rules.. I'll let Brian answer
that..

> The firewall punching stuff is done internally in libalias, so
> there's no code duplication there.
>
> I think there's probably room for some sort of ascii interface to
> libalias though, including (at least) the natd configuration file
> parser.  That way ppp could allow ``nat config /etc/natd.conf'' and
> could have a generally more compatible (with natd) interface.

And just in case anyone was wondering, I am currently working on a ``nat
config <configfile>'' feature for ppp.  I'm just taking lots of time
determining the best way to do it, since there is a considerable amount of
code from natd that needs to be added to ppp (in other words, the config
file parser is around 25% of natd's total code.)

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services