Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:21:06 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        dima@best.net
Cc:        tweten@frihet.com, louie@TransSys.COM, trost@cloud.rain.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

> David E. Tweten writes:
> > dima@best.net said:
> > >Normal users *do not need* to have an read acces to the kernel.
> > >They simply don't.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but this one finally pinched my corn.  System administrators who
> > believe users must prove that they need a service or resource before they
> > will be permitted access to it have always annoyed me.  When they get the
> > upper hand, such administrators destroy user productivity by forcing the more
> > numerous class of "users" to waste time proving when they should be using.
> > When I have the opportunity, I try to challenge such *administrators* to
> > prove that no users have a need before clamping down.
>
> Excuse me? What are they (users) going to do with kernel name list
> besides attempting to hack your machine?

No, you've missed Mr. Tweten's point.  You don't get to ask.  *You* have
to prove that there's *nothing* else they could get from reading the
kernel.

Furthermore, it's not obvious to me what they could get from reading it
that would allow them to "hack your machine".

> They can't really use it anyway.

It would be a nuisance to me if I had to su root to do the "strings
/kernel | grep '^___' " thing.

If you have such an adversarial relationship with these 'users' then by
all means, change your file permissions on your system any way you like,
but don't impose your changes on the rest of us.

BTW, you can make your system more secure by disconnecting the network
cable, and even more secure by disconnecting the power cable.