Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 01:31:39 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman.

At 08:22 PM 7/5/2001, John Baldwin wrote:

>That is not what you said.  You said "I won't cc you."  That is a vague
>statement that can easily cover the e-mail it was a part of. What you should
>have said then was what you meant:  "I won't cc you on any future exchanges
>after this reply."

I wasn't cc'ing him on that message. That message was TO him.

>A spokesman has to be clear in communicating the message to
>the audience, except when explicitly using ambiguity.

If I were in the process of conveying the "official" message to
someone who was actually listening, I would indeed be very careful
about avoiding the slightest bit of ambiguity. But in this case, I
was dealing with a heckler -- a situation in which one can only
"win" (or even break even!) by showing grace under fire and being
witty where the heckler is mean, irate, or both.

--Brett Glass