Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:05:07 +1100
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        <nbm@rapier.smartspace.co.za>
Cc:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   New port: firebird (was RE: ports/24313)

Howdy,

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently checking it with portlint and its
PLIST. By PREFIX-clean, I'm assuming that all filesystem references in the
code get mapped back relative to whatever PREFIX is set to. This is not
necessarily the case, due to historical reasons, but the port does provide a
symlink from /usr/interbase to whereever it gets installed to (default of
/usr/local/firebird)

> Getting someone else to vouch for the PR (by replying to it, or
> whatever) saying similar things (It works, it has the proper
> dependencies, it uninstalls cleanly, &c.) is another idea.

OK. I've installed both the package that the original PR submitter created,
and built the port contained in the PR. However, the port build was simply
'make install'.
I'll check this a bit more thoroughly and send a followup to the PR - I can
see some tidying up to do as a result of portlint.
I thought somebody might have been keen on committing it to retire the
interbase4 port - which suffers from the security backdoor hole mentioned at
http://www.ibphoenix.com/sec1.html.
Again, thanks for the advice. Glancing through
http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/ was also helpful.

> Neil
> --
> Neil Blakey-Milner
> nbm@mithrandr.moria.org

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au