Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 21:49:39 -0500
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley01.res.iastate.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCP/IP bug?  Unnecessary fragmentation...

I'm not really sure how this occurs, but it does not seem quite right.  If
one does a write of 125 bytes, it seems to get fragmented into a 100, and
25 byte packet, and sent seperately.  At first I thought this might be some
weird artifact of TCP_NODELAY, but this does not seem to make a difference.

Regardless of the way the data fits in mbufs/clusters, I think that it
someone does a write syscall, and it fits within the mtu/mss/window, it
should be sent as one piece.  Is there any reason why it is not done this
way?

--Chris Csanady