Date:      07 Apr 2002 11:41:28 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: Change to "why does my mail to FreeBSD.org bounce" FAQ

Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net> writes:

> +	      <para>Some mail user agents generate bad message IDs which will
> +		not be accepted.  You will need to persuade your mail user
> +		agent to generate a valid message ID or else configure your
> +		mail transfer agent to rewrite them.</para>

The answer should also have:

<para>In the FreeBSD.org mailing list system, the definition of "valid"
for the message ID and other mail headers is an arbitrary definition
which is different than those found in IETF RFCs and which is subject to
change without notice before or after the change.</para>

I'd suggest an easy way to get around that strange message ID filter
without messing with the mail software or changing the local host name,
but I'm afraid it would just result in a tightening of the filter.