Date:      Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:19:48 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        bob@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        dot.icabod@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: question

On 2005-04-03 14:50, bob@a1poweruser.com wrote:
> YES there is something major wrong with the official handbook.  The
> majority of the content is written like the reader already has good
> understanding of how FreeBSD works. It is not detailed enough for
> someone who has no previous experience with Unix like operating
> systems.

You're probably right.  The people who write documentation are usually
seasoned FreeBSD hackers, and what you say is often true.  If you do
have more specific suggestiongs, like:

	``In chapter 2, section 3, the installation guide mentions
	partitions without an explanation of what a partition is.
	We could probably add this paragraph here

	[ Insert small paragraph of plain text or SGML ]

	and it would all look a lot better.''

I would be glad to see your posts in freebsd-doc or as problem reports
submitted in Gnats.  Since I *did* ask explicitly, you can definitely
Cc: me too and keep bugging me until I commit the changes :-)

> The referenced Install guide gives clear step by step instructions.

I will definitely give it a look.  I have already started reading it,
but didn't get a chance to finish it tonight, due to other more urgent
stuff.

> It only uses the sysinstall process to lay down the default operating
> system from cdrom. Then step by step instruction on which /etc conf
> files need to be edited and with what data needs to be added and why.

For a specific configuration, as far as I have seen.  The Handbook
should be more general.  But we'll get a chance to discuss this once I
finish reading the guide.

> If you were current on the content of the handbook you will see that
> the handbooks complete section on firewalls has been replaced with
> the complete firewall section from the Install guide we are talking
> about.

I _am_ current on the firewall chapter.  I also dislike some parts of
it, but that's a different story.

You may recall that I was the first who was opposed to the commit of
this new section back when it was committed in Sep 2004, because I
consider it lacking too much in the areas of completeness, correctness,
and style of writing.

My personal opinion doesn't matter though, since others have picked up
the ball and fixed a zillion things.  I am very grateful to people like
Marc Fonvieille, Simon Nielsen, Tom Rhodes, Joehl Dahl, Brad Davis and
others who have stepped up and worked on the "new" firewall chapter.

> AND if you had accessed the Install guide you would have see that it
> is available to everyone for download and viewing on their own PC.

Please note that I have accessed the guide.  I've already read a part of
it, and making already progress towards having read it all.

My offer to commit changes to the Handbook that incorporate stuff from
your guide still stands, so apart from saying "my guide is better and
holier than yours" you're always welcome to submit diffs and/or plain
text changes for the Handbook chapter that explains the installation
process. :-)

Regards,
Giorgos