Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2006 03:19:25 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chuck Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: anyone understand torvald's critique of freebsd?

The guy is bitching about an option that's not even turned on,
thus it's not a legitimate criticism - there's an ulterior motive
somewhere.  He isn't going to explain this of course - if he was
being honest he never would have bitched about it in the first place.

>however....  :-)
>
>I think Linus doesn't care much for Zero-copy sockets because
>for the common
>case of 1500/1504-byte MTU, you end up wasting at least 60% of
>a 4096-byte page
>for each packet, and maybe ?three? times that much if your
>hardware splits the
>packet into separate pages for the mbuf header, the packet
>headers, and the
>packet data.

ram is cheap these days.

I've seen things before that are a lot faster to do the memory-hogging
way.  If this is one of these then the ram usage shouldn't be an
issue.

Ted