Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 03:11:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, sthaug@nethelp.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using 3 x znyx314 cards for 12 de ethernets

> These are different issues, someone can be partly responsible for
> a smurf attack without ever realising it and (more importantly)
> without _their_ security/quality of service being compromised.  I
> don't care how many boxes get hacked as long as they aren't mine,
> but it's reasonable to complain about a configuration which makes
> it too easy for script kiddies to exploit the ineptitude or
> carelessness of admins to affect _other_ competant and careful
> admins boxes.
>
> It's akin to shipping sendmail with open relaying.

If you want a C2 hardened system, quit pussyfooting around and start
addressing the real issues leading up to C2 certification.  Otherwise,
griping about something that will never happen given a correctly
configured firewall, and which "fixing" will break a behaviour that
is universally known to be useful, seems a bit counter-productive.

8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---