Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:22:04 -0600
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        harlan@everett.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -P and local changes

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 06:53:09PM -0800, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
>>Neither -x nor HOLD_PKGS is what I want.
>>
>>I *want* to upgrade the software, I just do not want to FETCH prebuilt
>>packages for any package that has a Makefile.local file in the tree, as
>>a Makefile.local file means I want to build that package with local changes.
>

> That's a very specific requirement, then, and I don't think
> portupgrade can do it.
>
> Kris

A snippet from the portupgrade manpage. Note the execution model...
Pay close attention to item 1 (-P).

I dunno - it's seems fairly clear to me that the manpage does a fine job
detailing just what parm does when. Again, to me at least - this thread
should have halted by telling the user to view the manpage.

Just my slice of cheescake.  Now read below from the manpage...

TECHNICAL DETAILS
      portupgrade upgrades installed packages via ports or packages without
      necessarily having to reinstall required or dependent packages by
adjust-
      ing the package registry database.

      The procedures it takes are briefly shown as below:

1.   If -P is not given, jump to 4.  Otherwise search the local
      directories listed in PKG_PATH for a newer package tarball.
      If found, jump to 5.

2.   Fetch the latest package from a remote site using
      pkg_fetch(1).  If the fetched package is the latest, jump to
      5.  If -P is given twice (i.e.  -PP) and the fetched package
      is not the latest but at least newer than the current instal-
      lation, jump to 5.

3.   If -P is given twice (i.e.  -PP), stop the task.

4.   Build the corresponding port of the given installed package.

5.   Fix the dependency information of the packages that depend on
      the given package.

6.   Back up the current installation of the given package using
      pkg_create(1).  Note that the backup tarball will be very
      large if the package is a big monster like XFree86.  Please
      ensure you have sufficient disk space (refer to the ENVIRON-
      MENT section to know where) to save the backup tarball. (Per-
      haps a new option to omit backups will be added in the future)

7.   Back up the current package registration files of the given
      package.

8.   Uninstall the given package forcibly, preserving shared
      libraries unless -u is specified.

9.   Install the new version via ports or packages, depending on
      the conditions in 1, 2 and 3.

10.  If the installation fails,

10.1.   Restore the old installation backed up in 6.

10.2.   Restore the old package registration files
         backed up in 7.

10.3.   Revert the dependency information fixed in 5.

11.  Remove the dependencies obsoleted in this upgrade.

12.  Run ``portsclean -L'' to delete duplicate libraries and put
      away old libraries.

13.  Run ``pkgdb -aF'' to fix up stale dependencies and reconstruct
      +REQUIRED_BY files.

--
Best regards,
Chris

To erase a line you've written at the command prompt, use "Ctrl-U".
		-- Dru <genesis@istar.ca>