Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:50:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: don't buy teles!

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, David Wetzel wrote:

> do you remember my binary/bigfile problems with all i4b versions until now?
>
> I just moved my computer to an 19" case and replaced the old teles with a
> new AVM PCI Fritz! card.
>
> The good news: The answering machine still works, small files too AND even
> big ones!

Sigh... Whatever happened to good old activism? Of course one shouldn't
but Teles, but not for technical reasons. Their attitude towards customers
sucks. I've bought a number of their cards. Their Windows drivers caused
blue screens whilst using the V.120 driver (which is not a problem, if it
weren't for the following). Support inquiries remain unanswered. Upgrades
to their Offline Powerpacks require payment, even if they are just bug
fixes. Heck, I bought a new card because the card including the update
was cheaper than the update alone. And the upgrades don't fix the blue
screens (probably because my problem reports never reached the engineers).

I don't mind paying for software. I do mind paying for applications I
don't need. I do mind paying for plain bug fixes. I do mind being offered
free downloads of fixes that come with a statement that they cripple the
software I payed for. Actually, I do mind paying for drivers for
hardware. I don't like Teles.

Phew. Venting can bring on relief at times! I promise I won't take out
broad and sweeping statements against any vendor for the rest of the
millenium[1]!

Cheers,
					-- Bert
P.S. Of course, I raised my concerns with the vendor. They're probably
running some weird e-mail system, because apparently these didn't reach
them either, despite the succesful delivery status from sendmail.
[1] With millenium, of course, defined as the zero based millenium that
both press and the majority of vendors cling on to, rather than the one
based millenium that will expire in 2001. Sigh. It really is unfortunate
that an artificial situation brought on by a mixture of computing design
errors and random incompetence can ruin many a hackers New Year's
celebration. Actually, today rather than tomorrow is the big Tape Erasing
Day, because infinity (99365) has been reached now!

Bert Driehuis, MIS -- bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com -- +31-20-3116119
Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me to your .signature and help me spread!