Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 08:46:02 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why don't section 4 pages live with their drivers?

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.10007071508210.72231-100000@login-1.eunet.no> Marius Bendiksen writes:
: > This works well for the new drivers that have their own directory
: > (except you'll need to make sure that the man pages get installed
: > somehow in make world either by .PATH in share/man/man4, or by
: > descending into dev/md in make world).  I don't think that the man
: > pages should be installed as part of modules either.  Sure, it is a
: > nice place to hang this hat, but I don't want to install the man pages
: > every time I build a kernel.
:
: I'm no expert on the build mechanism, but I'd think this issue could be
: resolved somehow?

"Could be resolved somehow" isn't enough of a plan to move forward.

: > How do you plan on dealing with all the drivers that live in, say,
: > sys/isa or sys/pci?
:
: sys/legacy/man4

Why bother moving them them?