Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:34:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Astrodog <astrodog@gmail.com>
Cc:        Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com>
Subject:   Re: OT Hardware reccomendtions (need MB for Dual Opterons)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Astrodog wrote:

> > We've got several dual opteron boxes now running FreeBSD, (they've been
> > great thus far btw), and we're looking to add a few more... Problem seems to
> > be that the motherboard we've been using is quite difficult to obtain, so
> > does anyone have any good suggestions towards another? Here's the
> > configuration as we're using now:
> >
> > Dual AMD Opteron 246 CPU
> > MSI K8D Master3-FA4R (
> > http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8D_Master3-FA4R&class=s
> > pd )
> > 2 GB ECC Registered PC2700 (DDR333) Memory
> > 3Ware Escalade 9500s-4LP RAID Controller
> > 250GB WDC RAID Edition Hardrives
> Tyan S2850s and S2882s have run great for me. For some reason, the BGE
> nic does much better on -STABLE though. *shrug*

I've got a S2881 on the bench right now that we'll be putting through its
paces against an Intel Nacona-based S5360. FreeBSD went on the S2881
without issues, but has ATA problems on the S5360.  The S2881 has a SiI
3114 controller, but if you turn that off and use the 3ware then it
shouldn't be a problem :-)

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org