Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 08:54:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CD to wave, howto...

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Lonewolf wrote:

> From: Lonewolf <lonewolf@apotheosis.za.org>
> On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 02:34:16PM -0500, Spidey wrote:
>
> > I wish to know how it could be possible to encode a CD to a wave or mp3
> > file?
> Use tosha to grab the raw tracks from the CD and then use sox to convert them
> into .wav files.  From there you can use something like 8hz-mp3 to convert
> them into mp3's.

The latest version of tosha (0.6) writes wav's directly, so you can
skip the sox step.

> All three of these can be found in the ports collection :)
>
> You might want to look into getting blade-enc (GNU) or l3enc (commercial) tho,
> as 8hz-mp3 doesn't seem to produce decent quality mp3's.

Even worse:

	bash-2.02$ cd /usr/ports/audio/8hz-mp3/
	bash-2.02$ make
	===>  8hz-mp3-0.2b is marked as broken: licensing issues.

mpegaudio is also in the ports collection, and includes mpeg_musicin,
which will do the job. However, it seems to want to output the entire
audio stream to /dev/tty in ascii while doing the conversion (yuck).

bladeenc isn't necessarily quieter or faster, but at least it's output
isn't as ugly!

Anyone got cd-paranoia to work for grabbing and cataloguing the tracks
on a disk using these tools?

	<mike