Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2017 08:42:26 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--6JMW33OxA4Jv5poGCKUP7i45pPpbA8I3I
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--EgFw5TvKLm54tQ5Wd0goMrJWxvb3oSBPf

On 22/06/2017 04:55, Jinattaporn K wrote:
> Dear The Authors, Organization or Whom it may concern,
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Regarding to the FreeBSD Project module, under BSD License that retaine=
d the
> copyright you are holding, we are a part of user who are planning to us=
e a
> modified object or code for apply the module as open source to our prod=
uct
> including notices the copyright in our distribution.=20

The FreeBSD license applies to most of the source code that goes to
build FreeBSD, but there are exceptions.  It's the copyright statement
in each of the individual source files which is most important.

> We already try to understand the limitation or agreement of the license=
 but
> seems some part quite not clear for understanding. So, we would like yo=
ur
> support to provide the explanation following requirement below.;

I suggest that you contact the FreeBSD Foundation with your specific
questions -- they are the people who can give you the official position,
and will be able to suggest an acceptable form of words.  They also have
at least on native Japanese speaker on the board, which you might find
useful.

> 1.    What is the properly sentence of copyright we need to describe in=
 our
> work.?=20
>=20
> As we have checked in open source webpage (http://www.freebsd.org), we =
saw
> many licenses information on "Legal notices" that concerned with the Fr=
eeBSD
> Project module, we also checked other users previously, they focus on T=
he
> FreeBSD copyright and The BSD copyright only. Please help to confirm wh=
ich
> information we should consider.?
>=20
> Moreover, Do we need to describe all information on License as full
> information or only the short sentence such as "Copyright 1992-2017 The=

> FreeBSD Project. All rights reserved."?

It depends on which parts of the FreeBSD code you use in your product.
If it's just extracting some driver code or similar, then you can
extract the copyrights from just the files concerned.
>=20
> 2.    We want to make sure, where we can subscript your copy right.?=20
>=20
> Specify as "in distribution document and/or other materials", for examp=
le if
> we produce a product, Do we need to subscript your copyright on our
> product's display or only in our instruction manual document is suffici=
ent.?
>=20
> 3.    If this license have any special requirement or recommendation, w=
> pleased to accept your advice.
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Sorry if this requirements are troubles you, but we are really want to =
give
> encourage to the holders of copyright and following your limitation
> correctly.
>=20
> Thank you in advance for your support.

Legal advice from a mailing list is worth about as much as you paid for
it: ie nothing.  Definitely consult with your own properly qualified
legal council to confirm that you are fulfilling your licensing
obligations correctly.

	Cheers,

	Matthew