Date:      Mon, 08 Oct 2007 07:57:13 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: what kind of UPS will work best?

Hi,

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 11:12:00AM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> 	*right* about the price.  Can I assume that a ballpark would be
> 	400W for each server?  (My wife is right: I've got to cut back to
> 	three computers:-)  I've found one APC 2200VA with a 17minute
> 	uptime.  3 times 400W, yes?

there are other factors which affect this. It is the current peak when a
PC starts and the phase shift it causes. The phase shift should not be a
problem but the peak.

I would not bother as long as you do not switch the computers on in
parallel.

> 	The first thing is to be sure of getting  large enough UPS to
> 	bridge the few-seconds power outtages or fraction/section surges.

If they define 17 minutes, this device will be good for you.

Just get the online version to avoid surprises later.

Erich