Date:      	Wed, 17 May 1995 19:30:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@haven.uniserve.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940?

On Mon, 15 May 1995, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >  Is it just me, or is the 2940 slower than the 1742 and 2742?
> >
> >  (BTW, I'm running a kernel supped last week)
> >
> >Tom
>
> I'll let you know once I get my Pentium machine. :)  I don't see
> any reason why it would be slower than a 2742.

  I swapped a ASUS AMD486DX4100 PCI with a 2940, for a AMI 486DX266 EISA
with a 2742, and found that "iozone auto" would give consistently better
results.  Running top and running two dd's or two iozone's revealed that EISA
system was using less system and interrupt time for the same job.
I used a almost current kerenel and the same drives for both.

Tom