Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 11:13:49 -0400
From:      Qingyan Zhao <qzhao@paul.rutgers.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fail to install freebsd2.0.5

>From chuckr@Glue.umd.edu Tue Sep 12 19:18:40 1995
>Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 19:17:30 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
>To: Qingyan Zhao <qzhao@paul.rutgers.edu>
>cc: questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: fail to install freebsd2.0.5
>
>On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Qingyan Zhao wrote:
>
>> hi, dear technical support:
>>

>> 	we bought freebsd2.0.5 CDrom, and have problems in installing.
>>
>> 	we used floppy disk to start installation, until we proceed to
>> "commit", it says:" page fault, disk sync..."
>>
>> 	when we switched to the debug screen, we saw the following message:
>>
>> DEBUG: starting an emergency holographic shell over on the 4th screen.
>> DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file.
>>

>> fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
>> fault virtual address = 0x60
>> fault code = supervisor write, page not present
>> instruction pointer = 0x8: 0xf010f0d7
>> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x16
>> processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume IOPL=0
>> current process = IDLE
>> interrupt mask = net tty bio
>
>You probably have a hardware problem.  Describe your machine to us,
>telling of all boards, what irqs they are using, what IO addresses, like
>that, it's probably something easily correctly.
>
>----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
>Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
>chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
>9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
>Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and n3lxx, both FreeBSD
>(301) 220-2114              | version 2.2 current -- and great FUN!
>----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------

hi, Chuck:

	thanks for your reply.

	we tried to install freebsd last nite again.  The harware
configuration is:

			hardware	port	irq	drq	iomem
motherboard		IBM486SLC	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a
CD ROM(panasonic)	matcd0		0x320	5	3	default
floppy disk		fdc0		default	default	default	default
hard drive I(maxtor)	wdc0		default	default	default	default
hard drive II(maxtor)	wdc1		default	default	default	default
line printer		lpt0		default	default	default	default
seiral port I		sio0		default	default	default	default
seiral port II		sio1		default	default	default	default

	we have 2 hard disks, each of 420M, we didnt use lpt0 or sio0, sio1
at all, none of all other devices.  This should be a very basic configuration.
interesting enough is if we did NOT disable all other unused devices, the
installation could process a little furthur, it showed that freebsd tried to
build file systems on all partitions(we have /, /usr, /usr/src, /usr/obj, swap,
/dos, etc). after it finished building file systems, it tried to copy something
to /stand, at this moment, page fault came.	However, if we did disable
all unused devices, only leave the above 7 devices enabled, the installation
would fail immediately, with page fault as the message, i.e, we didnt even see
freebsd was trying to build file systems.

	during installation, we DID see that freebsd recognized the CD ROM.

	Our harddisk lay out is : for the first harddisk, the first 200M is
allocated to DOS, the next 50M or so is for /, the rest(about 170M is for /usr.
for the second hard disk, we have swap(32M), /usr/src(recommended cfg),
/usr/obj(recommended cfg).

	Yesterday, we also ran the BIOS ram test, we have 8M ram, all are good.

	last question: we are wondering what freebsd is trying to do after it
finished building up file systems on all partition, 'cause that is the point
of failure, it should give us useful hint.

	thanks for your help, we are looking forward to your reply.

qingyan