Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 23:54:31 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, "Jeroen C.van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not committing WARNS settings...

At 8:08 PM -0800 2/5/02, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:12:15PM -0500, Jeroen C.van Gelderen wrote:
>
>>  David is about to switch to GCC 3.0 and I guess he does not like moving
>>  targets. I would expect that for the GCC 4.0 upgrade a similar freeze
>  > request will go out. And that seems fair enough since it does not
>  > prevent anyone from applying the actual code fixes.
>
>All David has to do is set WARNS=0 or NO_WERROR=1 in <bsd.sys.mk> or
>/etc/defaults/make.conf temporarily when he tests and commits the
>changeover, and he'll sidestep all the problems.  There's no need to
>impose restrictions on the activities of other committers.

I would assume that the most David would be expected to do is add the
NO_WERROR=1 to the appropriate file.  He should not have to go through
the entire source tree and fix all new warning messages in the entire
project.

>  >                                          .... We want to make this
>  > import stuff as easy on David as we can, no? It is a job from hell
>  > already.

I agree with this.  Given the amount of effort involved for gcc3, he
does not seem to asking for much.  He is actively working on it, and
making commits.  Increasing the ERROR-level in makefiles is not
something which is urgent, and it seems a reasonable courtesy to
David to hold off on that for a few weeks.

Hmm.  I guess a question to David is: "what is the target-date for
switching current over to gcc3?".  I've been assuming that is pretty
close to happening...