Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:44:32 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@schulte.org>
Cc:        Richard Morse <remorse@partners.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRC server?

On 2002-04-19 10:36, Christopher Schulte wrote:
> At 11:30 AM 4/19/2002 -0400, Morse, Richard E. wrote:
> >Hi!  I'm thinking of trying to set up a small local IRC server, with the
> >possibility of trying to convince a number of people to use IRC instead of
> >having conference calls over speakerphones (conference calls aren't a
> >problem, it's the speakerphones that annoy me...).  However, although I've
> >used IRC a bunch, I'm not that familiar with the server side.  Does anyone
> >have any suggestions for a fairly small, straightforward IRC server?
>
> http://www.ircd-hybrid.org/
>
> This product can support any size network, from a single server with 10
> clients to a multi-server network with thousands of concurrent users.

There are many choises, there.  DALnet's bahamut ircd, Undernet's
ircu, and a whole lot of them announced on freshmeat every day! :P

I personally like hybrid too, since I've seen the source, and liked
the way it builds, the fact that it produces very minimal warnings
with certain 'strict' flags of the compiler, and the thing is actually
readable code I can modify to my taste without much trouble :)

The installation notes of hybrid are pretty clear, and easy (for some
definition of "easy") :)

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/