Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:54:09 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPv6

<<On Mon, 29 Jul 1996 19:28:03 +0300 (EET DST), Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi> said:

>   Now with IPv6 stuff popping all over (Solaris, FTP PC/TCP, Telebit,
> etc.) is there any plans to do/port something to FreeBSD?

There are lots of plans but thus far no results.  The problem is that
the code quality of the freely-available implementations that we have
seen leaves something to be desired, and since FreeBSD has advanced
quite far beyond 4.4-Lite even those implementations are not easy to
port.

There has been some talk in the circles I move in (or more accurately,
which move over my head and occasionally condescend to drop some
tidbits down to me) of a desire to put together a ``network research
community IPv6 reference implementation'' which would include the best
parts of the NRL and INRIA codebases along with a lot of new work to
bring them up to more reliable standards.  I haven't heard anything
about this in a few weeks now, and don't know what state (if
happening at all) it is in.  In any case, these same people have
mostly been convinced to run FreeBSD, so such an implementation will
very likely drop right in (and should work with other systems, too).

Now, all this isn't to say that if someone handed me tomorrow a
cleaned-up version of the NRL stack with all the missing pieces filled
in and a workable way around the export issue that I would be averse
to using it---far from it.  But, that seems like a large amount of
work, and I have been told obliquely that I shouldn't spend any of
MIT's time (read: money) on such an effort.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick