Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:01:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
To:        "Eric W. Bates" <ericx@vineyard.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: consequences of migrating to maildir storage system

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Eric W. Bates wrote:

> Anyone have unfortunate experiences as a consequence of converting mail
> storage from flat file (mbox) to maildir? I'm concerned that the
> increase in the number of files might cause problems with replication
> (we use rsync), backup or even just running out of inodes.

If you're converting your mbox files to Maildirs, don't rely on
mbox2maildir to handle everything.  It converts all the messages fine, but
file dates and message status gets lost.

There are various solutions to this problem out there, or you can roll
your own...sorry, I don't have any pointers off the top of my head, but
google goes a long way. :)

Other then that, the only issue I have is with pine.  (anti-pine zealots
may > /dev/null now.:)  Once patched to support maildirs, it works
ok, but has a few quirks that sometimes cause it to crash.

If all of your users read mail remotely via imap or pop3, then
/definitly/ make the switch.

...david

---
david raistrick