Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 04:10:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        sales@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Subject:   voltage regulator

Does anyone know of a good 3.3V -> 2.9V voltage regulator that I can
get in the San Francisco Bay Area or via mail order?  I have an old
motherboard (Asus P/I-P55T2P4, old revision with only 66MHz external
clock and up to 3x multiplier) and a K6-200.  It seems runs ok but the
CPU is extremely hot, and I'm worried it might melt some day.

I tried one voltage regulator I found at a local Fry's (the type that
has a thin PCB and a socket interface, both fits between the CPU and
the motherboard, as well as a fan with a longer clamp) but it only
works in Windows 95.  In FreeBSD, it crashes with "general protection
fault" as soon as it reaches fsck.

Satoshi