Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:54:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Bailey <michaelb@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I want to always boot from floppy

Hi,
just got freeBSD and am reading the book & docs files.  (Background: I
have spent 6 months & 1,000 or so getting to where I can boot and use
Linux--a little.  So this question doesn't seem to be in the book, but
maybe I am just slow, but if you can toss off an answer & save me 6
months, who knows, maybe I can use that time to learn something where I
can help somebody else someday)
1) I want to always boot off a floppy.
2) I want to use a 600MB partition on the 2nd hard drive
		(a 1.6 G IDE, thinking
			freeBSD 600M
			Linux 600 M
				Gnu Hurd 400M)
3) I would rather not have DOS on this drive: the 1st hard
drive is a 1.2G IDE with Win95.

so, in the book, it says I need to have freeBSD on my 1st drive,
and if the CDRom is ATAPI, I have to jumper it to secondary master.

Linux says my CDrom is hdc.

Is all this stuff still true in 2.2, and does bootability of the
disk matter if I only ever want to boot from floppy?
(Linux let me make a boot floopy--different from the installation boot
floppy) and I just use that.

After sending this I will probably discover the answer right
away.

	But I am still going to send it, because I wanted to let somebody
	know, that in addition to the mailing lists I signed up for,
	I seem to be also getting e-mail for "support @ cdrom .com"

	Now, don't get me wrong, I would love to be a part of the
	organization (I've seen a couple invitations for remote
	and local jobs: if I only had the qualifications I would
	be sending a resume.  As a matter of fact, Would you like
	to lure me away from my position as a marketing representative
	with Sprint Local Telecom in the local circuits division?)
	But I digress. maybe the support line is diverted to each
	new lists-subscriber for an initiation.

	anyway, long live free software!

	thanks,
	Michael