Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2008 00:37:02 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: purely package-based/oriented solution

--=-HdiNTDAnEgWnn1xaS+Wo

Andriy Gapon p=ED=B9e v =FAt 22. 04. 2008 v 22:41 +0300:
> Sorry if this is something obvious or a FAQ.
>=20
> Is there a tool for purely package-based management of third-party softwa=
re?
> That is, something that meets the following criteria:
> 1. doesn't require ports tree
> 2. works similarly to package installation in FreeBSD installer
> 3. can properly handle upgrading packages (including dependencies)
> 4. can check remote package repositories and, based on timestamp or
> INDEX, can find new versions for installed packages
> 5. can verify that all dependencies would be met before downloading all
> packages in full (e.g. based on INDEX data or can download initial
> blocks of packages, so that package metadata could be extracted and
> examined).

portupgrade should be able to do 1-4, I don't know if 5 too.

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>
A)bort, R)etry, H)it with big hammer

--=-HdiNTDAnEgWnn1xaS+Wo
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?UTF-8?Q?_=C4=8D=C3=A1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-HdiNTDAnEgWnn1xaS+Wo--