Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 05:53:20 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Stupid Virus going arround.

Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com> types:
> Louis LeBlanc (leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org) wrote:
> > Mutt allows you  to use emacs, vi, or vim  as your composer/viewer, in
> > addition to the no frills (even  compared to vi) builtin composer. You
> > can  even configure  it to  color  certain text  to indicate  headers,
> > quotes, addresses, etc.,  just by tweaking a mail.vim  config.
> While we're on the subject of editor/mail user agent interactions:
> What is it that causes all lines in the message body beginning with the
> word 'From' to be indented with a '>'??

That's a Unixism. The original Unix mail program prepended a line to
each message to indicate the start of the message. The mail reader
from that era looked for those lines when parsing a mailbox into
message. The lines looked something like [pause to watch the Disk
meter on gkrellm while my find grovels over my mail archives] this:

	From mwm Thu, 18 Nov 93 23:12:14 PST

To prevent mail user agents from incorrectly finding the start of a
message inside a message, any line that started "From " was translated
to ">From " before delivery. Idealy, such mechanisms are removed
before the user sees them, but that doesn't always happen.

For more information, find a copy of "The Unix-Haters Handbook". No,
let me change that - to become a more informed person, *read* a copy
of "The Unix-Haters Handbook". Find out all the things that Unix did
wrong that it's predecessors did right, and why Unix sucks.

If you can't find the book - because the original owners are unwilling
to loan them out, but will let you look at their Unix Barf Bag, you
can read parts of it at <URL:
http://catalog.com/hopkins/unix-haters/handbook.html >.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.