Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 01:24:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        ebs@wwa.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation 2.2.5

On 12 Apr, Ed wrote:
> Hi-
>
> Xfree86 FAQ mentioned that I should mail questions to this email address,
> I hope it has been directed to the right place.
>
> I am attempting to install FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a clean ide hard drive, and
> have noticed that I cannot get any X server installed!  During the
> installation, either full install or X-User distribution, the directory
> /usr/X11R6 does not get created at all, which is concerning.  I have
> repartitioned and reloaded ALL distributions, and X refuses to load.
>
> I have tried to manually install XF86332 (from the CD installation disk),
> and the postinst.sh script fails to run completely, failing at ldconfig
> line.
>
> I have also tried to copy all the *tgz's locally, and run
> gzip -dc * | tar -xvf -
> and this unpacks all the files.  When running XF86Setup, it will complete
> the configuration (of an S3 86C775 card), but it fails to run xinit and
> create a link to the server, x --> XF86_S3

Have you tried creating the link using ln -s XF86_s3 X in
/usr/X11R6/bin?  Try that and see if it works.  If the display does
anything flakey or the monitor startx to make noise kill the xserver or
shut off the monitor.  This is a sigh of misconfiguration and could
damage the tube.

Create the link and start the server with startx.  BTW, when you ran
XF86Setup did you get a server and did xvidtune run?

> I have tried to upgrade the XF86332 server, but this did not help the
> above situation.
>
> Is it possible that I have a bad install CD since it is refusing to load
> the X1R6 at all?

I have never experienced this problem, it could well be that you CD is
bad.