Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:36:45 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First impressions of freebsd 4.5

> From: "Nora Schram (Planet)" <nora.schram@planet.nl>
> To: <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: First impressions of freebsd 4.5
> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:14:26 +0100

    Hi there, please, break your lines at ~72 chars.

> Some weeks ago I put FreeBSD on an old PC and I was impressed with the
> ease of installation.

    :) That's always nice to hear.

> Now my questions:
> 1. I have a lot of experience with DOS C application development
> (Raima Data Manager and C-Scape windowing library). After
> experimenting with Delphi and VBasic I definitely decided I do NOT
> want to program for Windows. So, if anybody can just put me on the
> right track to a good database system and a development system it
> would help me very much.

    Um. You mean you develop data-based applications? Well, then that
    depends on your requirements. For ease of installation, MySQL.
    For advanced stuff (triggers...), probably PostgreSQL.

> 2. My test server just has 1Mb of disk and 32 Mb memory and P233, I
> suppose this is not enough to set up X-windows comfortably. Any
> suggestions? Upgrade the server, get another machine?

    I wouldn't use X on a file server. It's just unneeded cruft. Get
    another machine. I use FreeBSD-4.4, Xfree86-4.1.0 w/ Blackbox-0.61.1
    on an old Celeron 300A / 256MB RAM, and it just rocks.

    True, I just use X to be able to have multiple terminals open... :)

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
1:30PM up 25 days, 19:53, 13 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.03, 0.09